Hi,

> On Sun, Mar 23, 2008 at 12:20 PM, Mandeep Singh
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>  Ubuntu users dont have this choice because they've removed the
> 1.7.6
>  packages from the repository. You can have any version as long as
> it
>  is1.8-rc3.
>The 1.7.6 worked perfectly but the new one is broken. If
> you try
>  to use apt-get install freevo=1.7.6 it wont because they dont have
> those
>  around anymore.

Yes, it hit me, too. One day an apt-get upgrade installed the 1.8-rc2 and my
ubuntu freevo box in the livingroom was useless. My girl was not exactly happy
with me, with Linux, you probably all know that situation ;)

After trying to install 1.8-rc2 manually for some hours I resorted to reading
the mailing lists. I then looked at the geole Repositories to try to figure
what happened. The working 1.7 packages were indeed removed and the release
candidate packages were uploaded. As the 1.8-rc2 from the repository just dies
without any useful logs anywhere I found no place to begin looking for the
cause.

I have asked the geole Admin to reupload the older packages that did work.

When looking closely at the ubuntu and the debian stuff on geole I found a
workaround for the situation.

Use your favorite apt frontend and get

Python-lirc and the 3 packages that show up when you search for "kaa" from

deb http://ubuntu.geole.info/ gutsy universe multiverse
deb-src http://ubuntu.geole.info/ gutsy universe multiverse

Then remove the ubuntu.geole.info sources from your apt.

Then get freevo 1.7.6.1-1 from

deb http://debian.geole.info/ etch main contrib non-free

I have then removed the debian.geole.info repository as well so that any change
there does not kill my "production" system in the livingroom again. The WAF (1)
of a broken mediacenter in the livingroom is 0.
As soon as new packages are available I´ll check them in a VMwared installation
;-)

Add xine and w32codecs if you want.

HTH

Christian "Godek" Luers