Hi and a very good morning to you out there!

First of all - many thanks for your replies!

Now I would like to give you a quick summary what I tried yesterday:

(1) First of all I tried John's idea
    >> At a complete guess you might need the development version of py-xml,
    >> it's probably called py-xml-devel.
    There's no such version out there, or maybe I'm just too blind to find it!?

(2) Then I switched to another freevo version as Duncan told me
    >> If your version of Python is 2.4 then you will need Freevo-1.5.4 as it
    >> contains fixes for Python-2.4.

(3) I then turned on the debugging feature of freevo with the following
    commands in my local_conf.py ind /USERS/xxx/.freevo
    -----------------
    DEBUG=1
    CHILDAPP_DEBUG = 1

    LOGGING = logging.DEBUG
    RECORDSERVER_LOGGING = logging.DEBUG
    -----------------
    After that I tried to start freevo and looked for some log files in the
    directories /tmp or /var/log/freevo - NO FILES IN THERE AT ALL!

(4) After that frustrating thing i started python and checked mmpython:
    >> The next thing to do is to type python and then try importing the
    >> dependencies, eg:
       # python
       >>> import mmpython

    There's my output:
    ibook-g4:/opt/local/bin xxx$ /opt/local/bin/python2.4 Python 2.4.5 (#1, Mar
23 2008, 10:06:10) [GCC 4.0.0 20041026 (Apple Computer, Inc. build 4061)] on
darwin Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.
    >>> import mmpython

    So there should be NO problems with the dependencies!?

(5) Then I tried to install PyXML at my own, so I downloaded the latest version
    and installed it through /opt/local/bin/python2.4 setup.py install
    The strange thing is that the error "no module named utils" is now gone!
    Instead there's a new one "no module named image"

For a quick summary here are some logs:

checking for mplayer...    /opt/local/bin/mplayer
checking for mencoder...   /opt/local/bin/mencoder
checking for tvtime...     not found (deactivated)
checking for xine...       not found (deactivated)
checking for fbxine...     not found (deactivated)
checking for lsdvd...      /opt/local/bin/lsdvd
checking for jpegtran...   /opt/local/bin/jpegtran
checking for xmame.x11...  not found (deactivated) checking for xmame.SDL...
not found (deactivated)
checking for xmame...      not found (deactivated)
checking for ssnes9x...    not found (deactivated)
checking for zsnes...      not found (deactivated)
checking for lame...       /opt/local/bin/lame
checking for flac...       /opt/local/bin/flac
checking for cdparanoia... not found (deactivated)
checking for oggenc...     not found (deactivated)
checking for renice...     /usr/bin/renice
checking for setterm...    not found (deactivated)
checking for mpav...       not found (deactivated)

  aalib @1.4rc5_2 (active)
  apr @1.2.12_1 (active)
  apr-util @1.2.12_0 (active)
  audiofile @0.2.6_2 (active)
  db44 @4.4.20_1 (active)
  esound @0.2.38_1 (active)
  expat @2.0.1_0 (active)
  flac @1.2.1_0 (active)
  freetype @2.3.5_1 (active)
  gawk @3.1.6_0 (active)
  gettext @0.17_3 (active)
  gmake @3.81_0 (active)
  id3lib @3.8.3_0 (active)
  imlib2 @1.2.2_0 (active)
  jpeg @6b_2 (active)
  lame @3.97_0 (active)
  libdvdcss @1.2.9_0 (active)
  libdvdread @0.9.7_0+libdvdcss (active)
  libexif @0.6.16_1 (active)
  libiconv @1.12_0+darwin_8 (active)
  libmad @0.15.1b_1 (active)
  libogg @1.1.3_2 (active)
  libpng @1.2.25_0 (active)
  libsdl @1.2.13_1+darwin_8 (active)
  libsdl_image @1.2.6_2 (active)
  libsdl_mixer @1.2.8_0 (active)
  libsdl_ttf @2.0.9_0 (active)
  libungif @4.1.4_2 (active)
  libvorbis @1.2.0_0 (active)
  libxml2 @2.6.31_0 (active)
  lzo2 @2.02_2 (active)
  MPlayer @1.0rc2_2+darwin_8+macosx+sdl (active)
  ncurses @5.6_0 (active)
  ncursesw @5.6_1 (active)
  neon @0.26.4_1 (active)
  openssl @0.9.8g_0 (active)
  pkgconfig @0.23_0 (active)
  py-elementtree @1.2.6-20050316_1 (active)
  py-game @1.7.1_0 (active)
  py-libxml2 @2.6.21_0 (active)
  py-logilab-common @0.28.2_0 (active)
  py-mx @2.0.6_0 (active)
  py-numeric @24.2_2+darwin_8+macosx (active)
  py-pil @1.1.6_0 (active)
  py-pyobjc @1.4_0 (active)
  py-readline @2.4.5_0 (active)
  py-setuptools @0.6c8_0 (active)
  py-svn @1.5.1_0 (active)
  py-twisted @2.5.0_0
  py-twisted @2.5.0_1 (active)
  py-twisted-web2 @0.2.0_0 (active)
  py-xml @0.8.4_0 (active)
  py-xmldiff @0.6.6_1 (active)
  py-xmltramp @2.16_1 (active)
  py-zopeinterface @3.3.0_0 (active)
  python23 @2.3.7_0+darwin_8 (active)
  python24 @2.4.5_0+darwin_8 (active)
  python25 @2.5.2_1+darwin_8 (active)
  readline @5.2.007_0 (active)
  smpeg @0.4.4_6+darwin_8 (active)
  sqlite3 @3.5.7_0 (active)
  subversion @1.4.6_0 (active)
  tiff @3.8.2_1+macosx (active)
  xine-lib @1.1.7_0 (active)
  zlib @1.2.3_1 (active)

freevo.conf

chanlist = us-cable
display = quartz
flac = /opt/local/bin/flac
geometry = 800x600
jpegtran = /opt/local/bin/jpegtran
lame = /opt/local/bin/lame
lsdvd = /opt/local/bin/lsdvd
mencoder = /opt/local/bin/mencoder
mplayer = /opt/local/bin/mplayer
renice = /usr/bin/renice
tv = ntsc
version = 2.1

echo $PATH
/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/Current/bin:/opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin

Dear John
>> Me neither but I do have a mac mini around so if I find the time and
>> motivation I'll give it a try. If you get it working make sure to let us
>> know and also maybe update wiki with any needed info.

I would very, very, very appreciate it if you could try it on your
mac mini. Maybe we could find some solutions together and update the Wiki,
because I don't think that it's still up to date...

So as I told you I'm working with Darwin/Mac-Ports, so I didn't install
any dependencies on my own. Everything should be activated and configured
in the right way (see all the activated ports above). The only difference
I had to make was changing the first line in freevo itself - from
#!/usr/bin/env python to #!/opt/local/bin/python2.4 - because python2.4
in /opt/local/bin is the version which has all the right dependencies
configured by Macports....

Think that should be enough :)

Greets from Austria and I hope we will get it done somehow, sometime!
Mike