MIXER_VOLUME_MAX=
seemed to do the trick!

cheers

________________________________
From: Jonathan Archer <jf_arc...@yahoo.com>
To: freevo-users@lists.sourceforge.net
Sent: Tuesday, 23 December, 2008 21:56:49
Subject: Re: [Freevo-users] (no subject)

Sorry about the slow response on this one, I've only just had chance to check
MIXER_VOLUME_DEFAULT=
seems to control master, not PCM. PCM is still way too loud and distorts
everything.
I've tried creating a mixer profile and loading on boot but freevo overrides
this. this says to me that there is a setting in there somewhere which controls
the PCM volume.

Thanks for your help though, I'll try anything (almost)