lhuizi...@iinet.net.au wrote:
> I am not too worried about xmltv either at the moment although the wiki
> seems to think that without xmltv the whole dvb thing won't work.  I
> find this hard to believe. Perhaps the wiki can just recommend the
> necessary code adjustments for Xine, Mplayer (or VLC) and how to get
> these to work, and then add a bit about xmltvand tv streaming.  I have
> tv working in Kaffeine, have exported a tzap scan to a channels.conf in
> Mplayer and Xine ./ directories, yet am missing something in the last
> step which IMHO is missing from documentation.
Hi there,

Some others have posted on how to get xmltv working for you, but if you
do want to avoid the whole issue of the tvgrabber, there are a couple of
things that I have done that you could try as well.

First, you could not use the TV plugin to watch tv.  I removed the tv
plugin (plugin.remove(tv)) and created my own tv watching command using
the command plugin:

plugin.activate('command.CommandMainMenuItem',
args=('/home/freevo/.freevo/HD.fxd', ), level=45)

where the HD.fxd contains:

<?xml version="1.0" ?>
<freevo>
    <command title="Watch CBC HD">
        <cmd>/home/freevo/.freevo/watch_cbc_hd.sh</cmd>
        <stoposd />
        <info>
            <content>It is just a test</content>
        </info>
    </command>
</freevo>

and the watch_cbc_hd.sh is just a wrapper around xine.

Second, you could also just manually create an xmltv file which contains
nothing more than your channel data (see
http://doc.freevo.org/ImportCustomXML) but no programming data.  'Watch
TV' will tell you that there is no program information, but will work
anyway.

Third, if your local stations put program info into their stream, you
can use dvbstreamer (
http://apps.sourceforge.net/mediawiki/dvbstreamer/index.php?title=Main_Page)
(thanks Adam!)  to dump program information in an Freevo-digestable
fashion.  Here's a script I use to do it (slightly modified version of
what is on the dvbstreamer web site):
#!/bin/bash
DVBCTRL="/usr/local/bin/dvbctrl  -u dvbstreamer -p control"
DELAY=300
XMLTVFILE=/home/freevo/local_xmltv.xml

#start dvbstreamer
dvbstreamer -a 0 -d

# wait for recording/streaming to stop

until
$DVBCTRL lssfs |grep -q null
do
        sleep 30
done

# Cycle through transponders

$DVBCTRL lsservices|sort |uniq -w 2 | while read  service; do
        $DVBCTRL select "$service"
        sleep $DELAY
done

# Dump listings to file