On Sun, 2009-01-25 at 21:54 +0000, Stephen Rowles wrote:
> I was uncertain with the replies, is a GMA950 good enough for Freevo 2?

Theoretically yes, provided your CPU is fast enough.  (Tentatively, I
would recommend at least a Core 2 duo at 2.6GHz, although 3.0GHz might
be safer when it comes to higher bitrate h264 content.)

With anything older than GMA X3000, we can't use a fragment program for
colorspace conversion, so that must be done in software.  For my Intel
Q9550 clocked at 3.4GHz, that uses about 27% of one core for 1920x1080
(full frame) at 24fps.  So if you have enough cpu cycles free it should
be workable.

dischi I think owns a GMA 950 (or, perhaps older).  He can comment on
how, aside from the fragment program issue, that chipset otherwise
performs with clutter.

However, I wouldn't at this point recommend you run out and buy anything
until we have a chance to do some more testing.  At some point, I'm
going to whip up a benchmark program and ask the Freevo community to
test on various hardware.  This will give us a better idea what's
workable and what isn't.

(Intel GMA X3000 on paper has the features, but the Linux driver has a
history of sucking, so I don't know if it will work for us without
testing.)

> Or should I be looking for a more modern intel graphics chipset? OG
> possible a bigger case so I can fit a cheap nvidia card in there? Or as
> other people suggested, USB attached TV reception? tbh I'm not sure a
> bigger case in the lounge will go down very well ;)

I'll be going with a USB TV encoder, not so much because I don't have
space in my case, but because the Hauppauge HD PVR (the only viable
option for me, given the grim tv provider situation in Canada) is USB.

As much as I hate the fact that the driver is closed source, I'd myself
still make every effort to build an HTPC with an nvidia GPU.  However,
if you want onboard video, there are still options with nvidia.

The Asus P5N7A-VM looks like a decent option:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4360036

Unfortunately, you're not likely to find onboard nvidia smaller than
uATX.  Still, that motherboard in an Antec Fusion Remote Black case
might be reasonable in terms of size, and should look slick and perform
well.

(I'm not sure about cooling, though.  Part of the reason I went with a
full size case for my HTPC is so that I could put a larger fan and
heatsink in it.  Small fans are annoyingly loud, and it's not acceptable
if my HTPC makes noise I can hear from more than 2 feet away.)

Cheers,
Jason.