Jason Tackaberry wrote:
>> I wonder why the Atom boards use the GMA 950?
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_GMA
>>
>> The board from Intel uses this chip. Aren't there any better boards?
>>

> Yeah it's really too bad the otherwise nice looking Atom board comes
> with a old and crippled graphics chipset.
>
> Jason.

It's a real pain, and the thing that has stopped me from jumping in and
buying it already. Lots of stuff now required decent 3D support, and I
expected that the graphics card would like it down for Freevo 2. I don't
really want to splash out on new hardware that won't support the future
release, I suspect that an Atom 330 board would be great for Freevo 1,
but I don't want to have to upgrade my hardware in the future :)

The other thing that is a pain is the power consumption, the dual core
atom CPU only draws something like 8 watts. But the old GMA 950 draws
something in the region of 35 watts :( it would be an awesome low power
media centre box if they had a decent low power graphics chip in there.
Apparently most of the new intel graphics chipsets draw less power and
perform better!

I was uncertain with the replies, is a GMA950 good enough for Freevo 2?
Or should I be looking for a more modern intel graphics chipset? Or
possible a bigger case so I can fit a cheap nvidia card in there? Or as
other people suggested, USB attached TV reception? tbh I'm not sure a
bigger case in the lounge will go down very well ;)