Michael Brown wrote:
> Hi Folks!
>
> I've got a Freevo backend recordserver with two IVTV cards (PVR-150's).
> /dev/video0 does all my regular recording through the recordserver, and
> I just hooked up /dev/video1 to a VHS player to transfer off videos
> before we get rid of the VHS decks. It works well enough just setting
> the input manually with the command
> v4l2-ctl -d 1 -i 2
> to set the composite input, and then doing a
> cat /dev/video1 > /path/file.mpg
> to record the mpg video.
>
> I'm hoping to improve the process somewhat. I'm hoping to get something
> going like a manual record where I could specify a start and end time so
> I don't have to remember to fire up ssh & screen and hit ctl+c to end it
> when it's done. Any ideas for that?
>
> The other thing would be a live preview. I've tried using VLC and
> pvr://, but it pulls up the tuner instead. I have X available on that
> box; any ideas how I can preview the composite input to adjust tracking?

It should be possible to use a TV channel to do this, last time I tested
this it worked.

TV_CHANNELS = [
    ('webcam',        u'WebCam',         '-3',
    ('S-Video',       u'S-Video',        '-1',
    ('CNI04C1',       u'SF1',           'K05'),
]

Here the channel is a negative number that Freevo takes the positive
value of and used as an index to the video group.

TV_VIDEO_GROUPS = [
    VideoGroup( #group 0
        vdev='/dev/video4',
        vvbi='/dev/vbi4',
        adev='/dev/video20',
        input_type='Tuner 1',
        input_num=0,
        tuner_norm='PAL',
        tuner_chanlist=CONF.chanlist,
        desc='PVR-350 Video Group',
        group_type='ivtv',
    ),
    VideoGroup( #group 1
        vdev='/dev/video4',
        vvbi='/dev/vbi4',
        adev='/dev/video20',
        input_type='Composite 1',
        input_num=2,
        tuner_norm='PAL',
        desc='PVR-350 Composite Group',
        group_type='ivtv',
    ),
    VideoGroup( #group 2
        vdev='/dev/video0',
        vvbi='/dev/vbi0',

adev='alsa:adevice=hw.1,0:amode=1:audiorate=32000:forceaudio:immediatemode=0',
        input_type='Television',
        input_num=0,
        tuner_norm='PAL',
        tuner_chanlist=CONF.chanlist,
        desc='Pinnacle 110i Group',
        group_type='tvalsa', #'normal'
    ),
    VideoGroup( #group 3
        vdev='/dev/video1',
        adev=None,
        input_type='webcam',
        desc='Philips Quickcam',
        group_type='webcam',
    ),
]

It is a bit tricky as generally VHS recorders don't have any direct
control. But if the PVR-150 has a transmitter then you could control the
VHS player using remote codes. IIRC these are done with irsend and the
transmitter has a very short range 1-2 cm.

In local_conf.py you can add:
VCR_PRE_REC  = None
VCR_POST_REC = None

replacing None for the name of a script that has the irsend commands.

Duncan