I used Duncan's suggestion of defining a site-wide asound.conf.
Each of my freevo boxes has it's own "configuration"
I created a soft link from /etc/asound.conf to /tmp/asound.conf
Each freevo node has a unique /tmp directory.
During startup, I copy the proper .asoundrc to /tmp/asound.conf

This works fine.  I have reverted back to running freevo as root.
I couldn't get freevo to run as a normal user, and have mplayer
fetch .asoundrc via $HOME.  Very odd, must be something with
my LTSP setup.

Michael Brown wrote:

> I'm curious about your LTSP set-up.  How many "freevo terminals" do you have,
> and are they similar in hardware configuration, or different?  How do you
> find it as far as maintenance goes?  How fast do the terminals boot up?

I have 3 different terminals. Boot takes maybe 15 seconds (or less) before
freevo starts.
Each has a different hardware configuration.  Mainly different video and audio
hardware.
The maintenance isn't too bad.  I use yum for software updates, I only have to
update one file system.
I can either do the updates on the server using yum --installroot=, or, telnet
to one of the freevo
boxes and run yum update as root.

> In my set-up, I have a central server running Debian which functions as a
> Freevo web & record server, Samba file & print server, IMAP mail, Misterhouse
> home automation, etc., which is the hub of my set-up.  It presently tftp
> boots the MediaMVP, and serves up the content to it and two other Freevo
> boxes which have identical motherboards, but vary in remotes and other
> hardware.  They started life as Ubuntu 6 boxes, and have been
> "frankensteined" with upgrades from both Ubuntu 7 and Freevo Debian packages
> and their dependencies.  Needless to say, they're getting to be a lot of work
> to maintain, and I've been thinking about an LTSP or other net-booted disk
> image ideas.

Me too.

> To get there sometime in the future, I started by having a 'freevo' user on
> each box, with the same UID/GID.  My two Freevo "frontends" mount the freevo
> home directory, which has a ~/.freevo directory, which contains just the
> cache at the moment.  So, the cache gets shared between the three machines
> (main/record server which hosts /home, and the two "frontends").  Eventually,
> I want to have one local_conf.py in the freevo home, and have it include the
> appropriate /etc/freevo/local_conf.py which would contain the
> machine-specific configuration items.

I configure each of my freevo boxes using a different $HOME.
The $HOME is defined by the hostname (livingroom, bedroom, gym).
My freevo service scripts sets $HOME before starting freevo, freevo finds the
proper local_conf.py
So, each freevo box has a different $HOME/.freevo/local_conf.py, which allows
for unique configuration.
The services loaded on each box is controlled by /etc/lts.conf.
lts.conf allows me to start different services and load different modules as
necessary.
I've found that LTSP isn't friendly with the new "upstart" methodology found in
fedora 9 and beyond,
which requires me to massage the LTS rc scripts.

For some reason, $HOME doesn't propagate to mplayer, mplayer doesn't fetch
$HOME/.asoundrc
This issue started this thread.