On Tue, Feb 03, 2009 at 12:07:29AM +0100, Alberto Hernando wrote:
> > Which driver version did you use? The one that shipped with your kernel?
> >

> Yes, "of course". If it's in the kernel, what else am I going to look for?...

Since your kernel (2.6.22) was quite old it could have been that
you already used the current hg version.

> But I still haven't been able to see anything. It's not that easy,
> I've seen that I must find a file with the channels of my area (I have
> it, btw it's Collserola in Spain, just in case somebody is there...
> hola?). But I'm still fighting with mplayer, the syntaxis, the name of
> the devices... When I find it out, surely will be all straight, but
> until then, it's annoying.

Once you got it running you'll really see that it's not that
complicated. Here's a quick step-by-step tutorial:

After installing the hg driver be sure you also downloaded the
right firmware file. In this case it's dvb-usb-dib0700-1.20.fw.

Check your dmesg, you should see something like this
(in this case it's a Hauppauge USB stick):

dvb-usb: found a 'Hauppauge Nova-T Stick' in cold state, will try to load a
firmware
firmware: requesting dvb-usb-dib0700-1.20.fw
dvb-usb: downloading firmware from file 'dvb-usb-dib0700-1.20.fw'
dib0700: firmware started successfully.
dvb-usb: found a 'Hauppauge Nova-T Stick' in warm state.

If you try different firmware versions keep in mind that it will
only be loaded if the card/USB-stick is in the "cold state". So
unplug the stick or, as in your case, power off your computer.

Now you'll need the Linux dvb-apps. In Debian Etch the package
is called "dvb-utils", in Debian Lenny it's called "dvb-apps".

Pick the right frequency file for your region and run a channel
scan. With Etch it should be something like this:

scan /usr/share/doc/dvb-utils/examples/scan/dvb-t/es-Collserola | tee
channels.conf

Note to other users: If you can't find a frequency table, check
the hg version of dvb-apps from linuxtv.org. There are a lot more
tables than for example in the dvb-utils package of Etch.

If the scan is unsuccessful, re-check the antenna and the driver
setup. You might need to set some driver options like

options dvb_usb_dib0700 force_lna_activation=1

If the scan worked well you are almost done.

Next test is if you can tune to a channel. Do this:

tzap -c channels.conf -r "name of a channel"

The channel name is the first item on each line in channels.conf, be
sure to put it in quotes if it contains a space.

You should see some output like this:

status 1f | signal 4c0d | snr 0000 | ber 00000000 | unc 00000000 | FE_HAS_LOCK

The important thing is the "FE_HAS_LOCK" at the end (ignore the "snr" here,
the driver just doesn't report the value). If you have non-zero "unc"
(uncorrected errors), check your antenna.

In another terminal, start mplayer to test if you can receive something:

mplayer /dev/dvb/adapter0/dvr0

If all this worked, copy the channels.conf to /etc/mplayer and use
mplayer directly to tune and watch (stop tzap first):

mplayer dvb://"channel name"

This uses the first DVB adapter. To use the second adapter try
something like this:

mplayer dvb://2@"channel name"

so long,

Hias