strawks wrote:

> John Molohan wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I've got a set of B&W speakers and an Audiolab amp which are both pretty
>> decent. At the moment it's just a stereo setup but I'll probably trade
>> up at some stage to surround sound. Currently I'm just using the onboard
>> audio from a shuttle with a mini-jack 3.5" to phono lead. Now this
>> probably isn't doing the speakers and amp any justice. Does anyone have
>> recommendations on high end sound cards? I've heard good things about
>> m-audio, obviously creative have a high profile but I'm not convinced
>> they're the best. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
>>

> Do you have digital input/ouput on your amp/shuttle?
>
> I have two Klipsch speackers on an Onkyo receiver connected to my box
> with an SPDIF cable and it's quite satisfying. The advantage is that it
> works with surround as well.

My shuttle does yes, my amp no but that may be upgraded in the future.
What I'm curious about is the quality coming out of the PC over digital
(there are obviously factors that effect analogue quality). As far as I
would have thought it's a digital stream so it will be perfect all the
way to your amp and the quality of your amp and it's DAC is all that
should matter. I said this in passing to a sales guy in one of the high
end hifi dealers here a couple of years ago and he disagreed. I didn't
have time to get into it with him so I'm not sure why.

John