2009/6/8 Bernard Mentink <bment...@gmail.com>

> Anyone?
>
> Cheers,
> Bernie
>
> On Sat, Jun 6, 2009 at 1:59 PM, Bernard Mentink <bment...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I get the following error while running this after installation:
>>
>> bment...@mythbuntu:~$ freevo
>> Traceback (most recent call last):
>>   File "<string>", line 1, in <module>
>> ImportError: No module named freevo
>> Traceback (most recent call last):
>>   File "/usr/local/bin/freevo", line 491, in <module>
>>     python, freevo_python = get_python(1)
>>   File "/usr/local/bin/freevo", line 218, in get_python
>>     child.fromchild.close()
>> AttributeError: 'Popen' object has no attribute 'fromchild'
>>
>> I have installed this by running the example script in ->
>> http://doc.freevo.org/FreevoAptUbuntu
>>
>> My installation directory is /usr/local, everything appeared to install
>> fine ..
>>
>> Looks to me that I have an incorrect version of something.
>>
>> To get the above script to work I had to use aptitude to install the kaa
>> packages, as the packages downloaded as per the
>> guide would not install with the script until I did that .. is it using
>> incorrect kaa versions? Or is the error something
>> completely different ..
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Bernie
>>

> Dear Bernie,

I recently switched to Ubuntu 9 Jaunty. And installing Freevo 1.8.1 via
Synaptic works great. But I see that you are using MythBuntu, isn't it? I
don't know on which Ubuntu version that is based. But I think the procedure
you quoted only works if it Mythbuntu is *excactly* compatible w/ Jaunty.
Have you tried to "apt-get update" on beforehand?

Beware that Jaunty installs an old version of Kaa with which Freevo 1.9.0 is
not compatible anymore. And if you install the latast kaa versions and try
to install Freevo then one gets an error about the Freevo Python install
script trying to use a command called "popen2" which is deprcated in the
Python version Jaunty uses. Pity.....

Seems to me Python is a too hard to keep up with for programmers and users
alike. I cannot remove old Pyton versions because of dependency hell. And
Python does not upgrade itself in one single directory. So for every Python
version there is a unuque directory on your harddrive in which a few of your
favourite Python apps reside. This leaves us w/ several Python versions and
each has its own apps. Allmost impossible to manage from a user's
administration perspective if you want to be sure that Freevo  uses one
specific Python version (with which it is suposed to work). I am considering
to quit using Freevo all together because of this. It is getting pretty
close to a full time equivalent (fte) job to keep Freevo up to date and
working properly.... In my opinion this is mainly due to Python's capricious
nature.

Best regards, mr. Jansen