Jason Tackaberry wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-06-08 at 14:27 +0200, Meneer Jansen wrote:
>> Freevo Python install script trying to use a command called "popen2"
>> which is deprcated in the Python version Jaunty uses. Pity.....
>
> Deprecated, but not removed.  So the worst that will happen is that
> Python will print a warning, which does not affect the actual
> functionality.  It's safe for you to ignore.
>

>> Seems to me Python is a too hard to keep up with for programmers and
>> users alike. I cannot remove old Pyton versions because of dependency
>> hell. And Python does not upgrade itself in one single directory. So
>
> Yes, you don't want to try to remove the python version that your distro
> came with, because a lot of apps on your distro depend on it.
>
> This dependency hell problem is not unique to python.  Try to upgrade
> non-bugfix releases of your glibc or gtk packages, to name a couple.
>
> Normal users should not need to maintain multiple python versions.  If
> you find yourself in the unfortunate situation of having a distribution
> with Python 2.4 (now unsupported by Freevo), you'll be far better
> upgrading your distro.
>
> But most distros released in the last 2 years are running Python 2.5,
> which Freevo does support.

I'm not sure that it is a great idea to upgrade a distro and Freevo at
the same time. As when there are problems with Freevo the poor user is
not sure if it is a Freevo problem or a distro problem.

IMHO it is better to upgrade a distro and keep Freevo at the same
version, all the old versions are still on the sourceforge.net web page.
  Then it is a simple matter of downloading it and typing:

python setup.py install

It is not even that difficult to do the same if there are any missing
dependencies.

Duncan