Hei Bernie
I have the same problem since a long time, and I had a conversation in the
Freevo bug tracker with Duncan once:
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1899602&group_id=46652&atid=446895

the problem seems to be in my kernel (2.6.24, ioctl for some sata devs). I
patched it as described here:
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=447337 but I am not sure
if this works with newer kernels and what the state is.

in my bug report above you find how to easy check the ioctl problem with
the python shell.

here I presented my workaround and what problems I still have (f.e. Freevo
do not feel if you open/close the tray by hand, then it trys to
reopen/reclose it if you press the EYECT butten):
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=2043450&group_id=46652&atid=446895

please let me know your experiances, thanks
Andreas