Thanks.

Using MythTV as the backend might work but my WAF would drop
dramatically.  It is an interesting option though.

I had assumed that I could record one channel per card and so was going
to setup 9 channels (ie TV1-Sat1, TV1-Sat2, TV1-Aerial, ... ).  But your
comment suggests I can only record one channel even if I have two or
more cards.  So would my plan work?

I do know python but haven't looked at the Freevo code so I don't think
changing the recordserver is a good idea for me.  Putting effort into
helping with V2.0 would be a better plan.