From: Paul <strifek...@users.sourceforge.net>

What kind of skipping and stuttering are you having playing CDs in  mplayer? I
have a problem where the buffer runs out while playing,  although not until
after track 3 or 4 on any given disc. It's not a stutter so much as a gap in
playback about 5 seconds long while the drive gets sorted out and starts
reading
data again. Setting a  bigger cache helps a little, setting the CD speed to
around 8x (-cdda speed=8) clears it  up, but this seems odd to me, since should
anything better than  realtime be able to fill the buffer?

It seems to be that my CD-ROM reads out enough data to fill the buffer, then
while waiting to read more, it spins down. By the time it gets the next read
command, it can't spin up fast enough and find where to read from before the
buffer empties and the music stops. I thought it was a problem with the CD-ROM
so I tried playing in Xine and like you, I found there are no problems. Very
odd.

Still stranger, I know it didn't always do this. I was able to play back CDs
with the drive ticking over at 2x, with the read light blinking almost
steadily.
Now it seems to read a strip to fill the buffer, then wait for the buffer to
get
down to 15% before attempting to read more. I believe I've tried to lower the
cache or even remove it, but that just ends in disaster all around.

Anyone have an ideas, especially some setting I may have made with hdparm that
didn't think mattered but it turns out made a big difference? Oh yes, this
happens in Freevo and on the command line, so it's definitely something to do
with MPlayer, or some other external widget.

Thanks guys.

James