Hi James,

Yes, thats the same problem I have with CD's - when I run it from the
command line it says things like - unable to fill buffer, can't read buffer
etc, the best setting I could get for it was a buffer of 4096, speed 8x. and
minimum buffer of 40% - but this isn't acceptable for playing CD's - if I
skip tracks of have it on random play it takes a good half a minute between
tracks filling the buffer. I haven't tried playing mp3 files over the
network again as this is already a deal breaker but previously in Ubuntu
they would just pause for a few seconds, fiddling with the buffers could get
it down to once or twice per song. I can't find anything on forums other
than running enormous buffers as a way aorund this so I will continue using
Xine - if only Freevo could read the artist metadata when playing radio
streams with Xine!

PS - I was at the stage of looking at hdparm settings becasue of these
issues but never changed anything, I have tested three different CD drives
and the problem is the same with all of them.