I'm glad to hear that was the case for you!  It was not the case for me;
if I did not know a small bit of python, I never would have gotten my
Freevo working.  Granted, I used Ubuntu.  Not to bash Ubuntu; it's great
for desktops, but they continually break things.  (broken lirc caused me
a lot of grief)
 Perhaps Debian would have been a better choice, but I'm not sure that
it wouldn't have had the same lirc bug.