On Wed, 2011-02-23 at 22:00 +0100, Bastian wrote:
> Hi all,
>
>    to be honest, currently I am running mythtv, but it is pain in the
>    a.. and I am look for alternatives.
>    So my plans are to smoothly convert to freevo, which sounds to very
>    well fit my needs and btw seems to be a nice piece of software :)
>    In order to evaluate and mature the setup and the configuration of
>    freevo for my hardware in use, I would like to start a discussion and
>    will be glad to get some ideas, hints and information from you about
>    freevo.
>
>    Just let me explain, what kind of hardware is available:
>    . central server: debian lenny, dvb-s, storage
>    . network       : 1GBit Ethernet and WiFi
>    . clients       : <6 machine, most debian
>
>    The feature list of freevo 1.9 tells me, that there is support for
>    multiple recording backends. Sounds to me that arbritrary clients
>    could stream and play back movies from the bachend system, right?

First off Freevo doesn't have anywhere near the flexibility/features of
a mythtv recording backend. A client can only talk to 1 record server
and a record server can only record one program at a time (even if it
has multiple tuners) this is something that _will_ be fixed in v2, but
that's a way away.

>    What streaming technique is used there for? A shared file system or
>    some other protocol (maybe from kaa lib)?

A Shared (NFS) file system is what I use for both recorded and ripped content.

>    Basically (but not mandatory) it would be valuable, if the recording
>    server also serves the clients with liveTV. Is that possible? Is time
>    shifting for livetv possible?

Freevo currently doesn't do this, let me clarify that slightly, well it can do
it if you are receiving digit tv and use dvbstreamer, but you'll likely need 1
tuner per client and 1 for recording.
Freevo can do livepause on a client without a tv tuner if you either use
dvbstreamer (and the livepause app) or use the livepauseserver (again
needs livepause) helper with an ivtv card.

>    As you see, all my clients are not capable to receive TV, thus all
>    recordings and liveTV have to be streamed from the backend.

To give an example, my recordserver is in the loft where the tv signal is less
degraded and I have cat5 to my frontend in the living room. I use dvbstreamer
to stream the digital tv to the frontend and also a second instance to record.

>    What do you think. Will it be possible to realize this setup with
>    freevo?

Yes, but if you are going to want to record multiple things at the same time
you're best sticking with MythTV for the moment.

>    Thanks,
>    Bastian

For info dvbstreamer and livepause are available from :
http://www.dvbstreamer.org