On 19 Jul 2006, at 15:16, Jochen Fromm wrote:

> I don't agree with you on this topic.
> In your blog you say "just imagine that you have
> all that computational power right now [..] how
> the hell do you program a human mind in there"
> It is perhaps easier than we think: the brain
> delegates its own construction largely to the
> environment. All you need is therefore a suitable
> environment (which is complex enough)

how the hell do you program such a complex environment in there?
OK, you can connect a robot to the real world, but then you would
need to develop something similar to our sensors, which are very far
from being cameras and IR sensors... Just for moving, we use
propioception, that is, sensors of the position of our limbs...
Cognition is not only about computational power, but also about (en)
action and embodiment...

I think it is just that the human mind is not platform independent...

> and an
> adaptive system with a high capability to learn,
> including advanced learning rules (something as
> simple as the delta-rule for neural networks,
> Oja's learning rule or Hebb's rule).

I'm afraid it's not as easy as that. All these learning algorithms
are good models, but we are VEEERY far from understanding how we
really do it...
Again, if we had all that computing power now, we wouldn't be able to
know which learning methods to use so that the machine would develop
human-like intelligence.

I'm not saying it's not possible, I'm saying I don't see it coming
soon... 15 years ago we were at the insect level, and we are still
there. Well, no, maybe we are even a bit farther, since we've learned
much more about the complexity of insects we didn't know about...
basically, insects got much smarter in the last 15 years than our
robots...

Best regards,

     Carlos Gershenson...
     Centrum Leo Apostel, Vrije Universiteit Brussel
     Krijgskundestraat 33. B-1160 Brussels, Belgium
     http://homepages.vub.ac.be/~cgershen/

   “Tendencies tend to change...”