This may seem a bit odd, but bear with me!

We've been using Processing.org's great graphics system: the
libraries and the nifty IDE and tools for managing
"sketchbooks" (projects), building web pages/applets, and even
building applications for Windows, Mac and Linux.  We've had success
(i.e. got paid for!) two projects using Processing: a Stadium model,
and a generalized Data Visualization system.  Quite nice.

So now we've got two interesting environments for modeling: NetLogo,
our old friend which keeps getting better, and Processing which seems
great for what I'd call "wire frame" modeling.  We've also got high
end rendering experience with Blender: we can both use it to build
Processing meshes for our models and can render agent motion inside
blender, using NetLogo and Processing output.

BUT we're missing a "sweet spot" in the middle: a fairly realistic 3D
environment that can do realtime modeling .. i.e. animation via
behavior.  We also want to have some notion of "physics" .. i.e.
things bouncing off walls or agents colliding.  (Blender thus far has
not worked, but we're still poking.)

This prompting me to look into Java graphics and game books, one of
which is Killer Game Programming in Java.  The book has a website
which includes a LOT of material that is not in his book:
   http://fivedots.coe.psu.ac.th/~ad/jg/
This let to getting in touch with the author, asking for pointers to
"game engines", see email attached.

Now to the question to FRIAM:  Has anyone found a good environment
for agent based modeling with "game-like" 3D realism and with modest
libraries for collision detection, scene graphs and so on?

     -- Owen

Owen Densmore   http://backspaces.net

Begin forwarded message: