I found this overview to be very informative, rather alarming, and
only as technical as minimally needed.

On arstechnica website:

http://arstechnica.com/articles/culture/evoting.ars

Also available as a free, PDF: (PDF Link)

http://arstechnica.com/etc/How_to_steal_an_election-ArsTechnica.pdf

Also, IIRCC, there have been plenty of anomolous results with assorted
electronic voting machines, but no-one has been able to prove if they
were the result of hack attempts, or just the result of buggy software
/ poor handling.

~~James
http://www.turtlezero.com
(JA-86)