Whether a 'marketplace' for ideas works efficiently or not, or simply
supresses any innovation departing from the trusted standards, for
example, is not easy to assure.

Take the global expectation that multiplying the rate of economic
expansion forever assures prosperity.  Everything in nature begins
with growth but it is also the most unsustainable behavior there is.
Because the investment world requires every business and persuades
researchers and governments to feed and promote its investment growth
plan, the discussion of where it ends is profoundly inhibited.

I'm just suggesting that assuming every point of view has *some* valid
basis is as close to a guarantee of intellectual marketplace
efficiency as you can get.

> The Genius of James Madison was to see that a large country with many
> factions would be freer from factionalism that a small country would
be.
> The factions would cancel each other out.  Factionalism was the
greatest
> threat to democracy that the founders saw.  Much the same applies to
> corporations and the marketplace -- we are saturated with islands of
self
> interest, but have a system which has them cancel each other out --
except
> insofar as they mostly line up, i.e. except for the widely held
positions.
> It's like filtering out all but the DC signal.
>
> Democracy as an evolutionary matter, once it is well established, is
pretty
> good at allowing agreement to emerge from the cacophony of
viewpoints.  It's
> rapid spread (from one to more than 100 democracies in two centuries)
> attests to it's evolutionary superiority.
>
> There has never been a time when those in power didn't believe in
> suppressing all other viewpoints.  It is the essence of all non-
democracies.
> In democracies people always want to achieve that, but they they are
> structurally inhibited.  If they ever succeed, then they are no
longer have
> a democracy.  "Democracy is Well Established" == "No One can
Suppress all

--
Phil Henshaw                       ¸¸¸¸.·´ ¯ `·.¸¸¸¸