From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Hugh Trenchard
Sent: Monday, January 08, 2007 2:30 AM
To: The Friday Morning Applied Complexity Coffee Group
Subject: Re: [FRIAM] Mechanics of Formation Flight

My thanks as well for the clear and educational presentation.  If I
understand correctly (which I very well may not be), then essentially
all the birds, including the one at the front reach an equipartition of
power output, although it sounds like possibly there is maximal drag
reductions in the front three positions at the apex (depending how
closely abreast the two following the leader are), and the least for the
birds at the back of the vee.  Getting to one of the front three
positions would require a short term high power output burst by a
trailing bird, which might explain why the weakest ones end up in the
worst positions, since the strongest ones are able to make the short
term bursts required to get into the best positions.

In any event, your notes certainly require me to rethink some things,
but I should clarify that my own discussions have been about the
underlying principle of energy savings among coupled agents which allows
for the emergence of complex dynamics among the system as a whole. Being
a "forest for the trees" exercise, the details of the aerodynamics
affect my analysis only to a small extent, although it certainly helps
that I understand them.

I also realize now I need to be careful about using the term "drafting"
when types of energy savings dynamics other than drafting may be
happening.  Perhaps it is more accurate to refer to the principle as
"energy savings by coupling". Regardless, there are still universal
complex dynamics that occur - for example, if there is a rotation
dynamic within a vee formation, then that is a dynamic shared among
rotating penguin huddles and rotating bicycle pelotons.

In any event, thanks again for the very useful and helpful outline.

Hugh Trenchard