Shhh!

Someone might hear you!

Seriously, good question, Robert.  The answer, of course, is that it depends
on the questions being asked about the system being simulated.  If the
questions are such that a simple simulation can provide answers, then
force-fitting a large, more detailed simulation to provide results will
probably be of no advantage whatever.

It is for systems -- typically highly complex, dynamic systems -- when
certain questions are asked for which simple simulations can provide no
relevant insight that a larger, more complex simulation can sometimes
effectively be brought to bear.

All the usual codicils apply to the above paragraph, such as

  1. the big, detailed simulation is  detailed in the proper areas to
  address the analysis requirements,
  2. the analysis requirements make sense,
  3. data exists to support the detailed rendering of the physical
  system being modeled, and
  4. the analyst knows what he's doing.

The reality is that there is no one-size-fits-all solution for simulations.

--Doug

--
Doug Roberts, RTI International
[EMAIL PROTECTED]