Hi Allison,
You must be familiar with the European consensus conference concept?
There has been some work in STS that looks at these sense-making
spaces (see Frank Fischer's work (Fischer F. 2000. Citizens, experts,
and the environment: The politics of local knowledge. Durham and
London: Duke UP.) and Stefan Sperling
(http://www.sts.rpi.edu/colloquium/sperling.html)).  WikiPolicy is, it
seems to me, is an online version of such a social space.  The
affordance of the Wiki though is that it produces social network data
and that network data seems to be one of the main resources that
policy makers would draw on to position the perspectives.  Your idea
of WikiPolicy is also exciting from those of us who study knowledge
production becuase of the medium's affordance for producing detailed
and wide social interaction data (communication network data) on a
topic that has only been able to be studies through ethnogrpahic
participation or discourse analysis--as we all know very well it is
extremely difficult to gather network data from a face-to-face
interactions especially from spaces that are inhabited by powerful
people who often don't like being monitored.  You may want to take a
look at how computatioanl social scientists are approaching the study
of online knowledge communities.  The main work that comes to mind,
which I just recently learned about, here is Greg Madey's group's
study of collaboration networks in the SourceForge community.  They're
using agent-based modeling techniques and network analysis to better
understand the community.  I'm sure others here in FRIAM can situate
this work much better than me.  And I bet that there are other similar
case studies.  This area seems to be very rich and your project is
quite exciting!
Matt