I think Frank & Marcus may be discussing the difference between abstract
categories and real ones.  Science has been trying to become more
'realistic' for some time, by talking about 'self-organizing' systems as
well as 'natural laws', for example, but the discussion hasn't gone the
next step, to call physical things 'self-defining' too.    What would
happen if we used the word 'it' to refer to systems as units of natural
organization that didn't need to be defined, but only identified, and so
become fit subjects of scientific study?

Sound silly??   It's meant to both point out the fun to be had, and be a
completely reasonable suggestion.  It would take a structural change in
the language of science from referring only to numbers to learning how
to refer to real stuff, taking the language of physics to another level.
Abandoning numeric measure as the sole subject of hard science wouldn't
end the old conversation, not by a long shot, but start a new one, one
having the potential of representing complex systems directly with
themselves, by referral, rather than with some simplified set of
equations.    What you get for learning how to do physics using
references to real things instead of just measures is a whole new
physics and fresh new subjects for the old one.

So maybe the question of abstract v. real categories could provide
plenty to talk about.

Phil Henshaw                       ¸¸¸¸.·´ ¯ `·.¸¸¸¸
680 Ft. Washington Ave
NY NY 10040
tel: 212-795-4844
e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]