May I suggest the book by my colleagues Wil Gorr and Kristen Kurland here at
Carnegie Mellon. It does make ArcView seem doable. Certainly our students
here in public policy find it accessible. See
http://www.amazon.com/GIS-Tutorial-Workbook-ArcView-9-0/dp/1589481275

George

On 9/24/07, Marcus G. Daniels <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Raymond Parks wrote:
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> >
> >> Idrisi, a sophisticated and professional GIS program, is available from
> >> Clark University, Nick's academic home, for much less than ARC View.
> >> Idrisi is much easier to use than ArcView.
> >>

> >   However, I am not willing to make a minimum $1250 investment without
> > some chance at a preview or test of the product.  BTW, finding that cost
> > turned out to be much more difficult than it should be on that web-site.
> >  The web-site seems to further the stereotype of academics not having a
> > clue about business.
> >
> Btw, ArcView's capabilities are exposed as COM interfaces (called
> `ArcObjects') and programming ArcView in Visual Basic is not hard.
> There are accessible books on the topic.
>
> A related technology that may be of interest is the open source PostGis
> project.  This adds geographical proximity extensions to SQL (Postgres).
>
> Marcus

George T. Duncan
Professor of Statistics
Heinz School of Public Policy and Management
Carnegie Mellon University
Pittsburgh, PA 15213
(412) 268-2172