Stephen Guerin wrote:
> Are we at a similar threshold now with GIS/3D?

I haven't worked on GIS stuff lately, but I am interested in
technologies for high performance multidimensional query.   I've
experimented with some products like TimesTen from Oracle, but wish for
something like
http://www-vis.lbl.gov/Events/SC05/HDF5FastQuery/index.html but without
layering over O.S. system calls, i.e. data stored in native format with
bitmap indicies or similar to accelerate query.

Hmm, maybe there's a market for scientific data appliances (no not file
servers!) say running some microkernel/exokernel that take remote
procedure calls over Infiniband or such?    Calls conceptually like SQL,
but intended to be way way faster...

Marcus