I had the pleasure of sitting and talking with a cosmological rock star for
about 1 1/2 hours last week at SuperComputing '07 in Reno.  2006 Noble
winner for physics (COBE) Prof. George Smoot gave one of the keynote
addresses on Thursday morning.  That afternoon he had an informal chat
session around a table with about 5 of us at the UC Berkeley booth on the
convention floor.  A special treat,  getting to talk cosmology with one of
the luminaries in the field.  We also got autographed copies of his book,
"Wrinkles in Time".  A most satisfying experience.

Prof. Smoot, btw, favors a multi-dimensional solution to the problem of
"dark energy" and its presumed role in the recently-observed (by humans,
anyhow) increase in the rate of expansion of the universe.
Multi-dimensional Brane intersections, and other postulated explanations of
that sort.

--Doug

--
Doug Roberts, RTI International