Carver:

How are you going to address the problem of defining when the tool is deemed
"created"?  Seems to me that one of the great and wonderful aspects of the
Digital Revolution that that while companies or individuals may release
version 1.0 and 1.1, etc., the tool(s) are always in a dynamic state of
evolution.

Note, I'm not suggesting that your proposed research is impossible, but only
suggesting that you try to nail down a definition as you move into the
research, understanding, of course, that those definitions may well -- and
perhaps should -- change as you uncover more data.

-Tom

On Feb 6, 2008 10:58 AM, Carver Tate <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hey everyone, I apologize if this is an inappropriate use of the FRIAM
> list, but I am a little desperate right now.  I am a graduate student
> at the Communication, Culture, and Technology program at Georgetown (I
> interned at Red Fish over the summer).  I am currently doing research
> for my thesis on the discrepancy between the speed at which tools for
> accessing information (Google, Wikipedia, Semantic Web, etc.) are
> created and the speed at which information is created.  There are two
> concepts from Information Theory that I want to use in my thesis, but
> am having trouble finding any good resources on.  The first is the
> idea of "Information Overload" and the other is "Search Metrics."  If
> any of you know of any books, papers, websites, etc. concerning either
> of these topics I would appreciate it if you could let me know.
> Thanks a lot!
> - Carver
>
> --
> "There are no passengers on spaceship earth. We are all crew." -
> Marshall McLuhan

J. T. Johnson
Institute for Analytic Journalism -- Santa Fe, NM USA
www.analyticjournalism.com
505.577.6482(c)                                 505.473.9646(h)
http://www.jtjohnson.com                 [EMAIL PROTECTED]

"You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the
existing model obsolete."
                                                  -- Buckminster Fuller