I worked in the early search engine space, and I know that most of the
engines keep detailed metrics. What do you mean by "search metrics."

Pick up the phone and call Google, I am sure they have several people
dedicated to metrics. The advertising sales department will certainly
have the data. Accurate metric data is critical to successful
advertising campaigns. Google cannot sell adwords unless they can
demonstrate how often the keyword is used. In addition, there are
companies selling advertising services online that will aggregate search
engine data, such as keyword usage, and analyze it against the "depth"
of page views on their clients website. So a search user who types "find
cheap mortgage rate" in a search engine has a value, and the search user
who types "mortgage" has a value, which is worth more to the client
buying the adword and which "keyword" is more expensive? If I can
correlate the cost of the adword when I buy it from Google, with the
"value" of the search user once they come to my clients site, I will
have a feedback loop for the success of the keyword campaign.

Hope this not completely off your mark.

//Joe