Good point.

Identifying the existence of a pattern is one thing.  Determining whether
the application of that pattern is, say, "good" or "bad" is something else.
For example, people get ill.  Identifying the pattern of SIR of various
illnesses is a totally different than: "Is it good or bad that people get
sick"? Or, is it better to treat illnesses than prevent them?  Or, does the
overuse of antibiotics create super bacteria?

It is apparent to me that I tend to focus on the former issues, while many
in our group wrestle over issues of the latter kind.  I'm comfortable with
that division of labor.

Ken