On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 08:55:29PM +0200, Günther Greindl wrote:

> But, as said above, it seems that RR defines mechanism differently. This
> is of course very unfortunate, as it will have people talking past each
> other. Unfortunate also because mechanism is indeed a word which can be
> given a precise, mathematical meaning.

Is this in fact the case? When I read "What is Life", my idea of
mechanism was still the same (Turing computability), but felt that the
"Game of Life" was a counter example to his claims (GoL has multiple
inconsistent models). I'm still proposing to write a critique of Chu and
Ho's recent Artificial Life paper along somewhat these lines, but I'm
stuck evolving fuzzy inference systems for now (and I have some mutual
information data mining work stacked up behind it).

Cheers

Mathematics