Günther Greindl wrote:
> That is a very interesting question. Do you have some good references
> which look at this?

No, not really.  My favorite reference is "Vicious Circles" by Barwise
and Moss.  But it doesn't talk too much about practical application,
which is necessary to get a handle on the effective differences.

As I said, I haven't been able to slice off the time I'd need to dig
deeper.  I've been wanting to dig deeper for about 3 years; but other
(revenue generating) tasks keep interfering.

>> It seems to me that formalisms built without the foundation axiom will
>> lack some of the definiteness we find and expect in our mathematics.
>> set theory.  And it also seems related to the rampant abuse of concepts
>> like iteration (e.g. recursion).
>
> Could you give examples of abuses, I would be interested?

Well, before I give any explicit examples, I'll want to make sure a)
that it's actually an abuse ... no sense accusing someone if there's
doubt and b) make them relevant to this e-mail list.  Give me some time
to do a little of that work and I'll get back to you.

Last year I went fishing with Salvador Dali. He was using a dotted line.
He caught every other fish. -- Steven Wright