also Th!nk City electric car from Norway...: Guerin: Murray 2008.06.07

Hi Stephen,  Some of us at Friam have talked about possible investments in
alternative energy, so I thought this info about current tech on the market
would be of interest, particularly with a local office --
maybe Conergy would like to connect with Santa Fe Complex.  Conergy is now
offering Nanosolar technology for affordable solar power for communities on
the scale of El Dorado, which is just sort of thing that could be visualized
on the sand table.  Santa Fe could be a world leader as a community that
switches from coal, gas, and nuclear to solar and wind power.

If we also attract an assembly plant for the Th!nk City electric car from
Norway, 124 mile daily range at 65 mph, then in a few years most pollution
would be gone from our air, with major health benefits.....!

In mutual service,  Rich Murray 505-501-2298  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

http://www.autobloggreen.com/2008/03/25/officially-official-th-nk-city-electric-car-on-sale-in-the-uk-t/

AutoblogGreen
Officially official: Th!nk City electric car on sale in the UK this fall

Posted Mar 25th 2008 3:10PM by Sebastian Blanco
Filed under: EV/Plug-in, Green Daily, UK, Th!nk (Think)

March has been a big month for Th!nk, with the news about $4m investments
and the new Ox model out of Geneva. We knew EV fans in Norway would be able
to buy a Th!nk City soon, and the good news for Britons is that the City
will be available to order in the UK sometime "during the last quarter of
this year." Smart Planet notes that the Th!nk City's running costs of around
1.25p a mile are a good place to be and "exactly halfway between the usual
stated costs of the G-Wiz and the Mega City." While the Th!nk City does take
longer to charge than some other EVs (10 hours at a standard plug vs. 4-6),
you get more performance from it. 124 miles per charge being the big one; a
little bit of punch with a 0-30 speed of 6.5 seconds being the other. UK
buyers can expect to pay £14,000 (just under $28,000US) for a Th!nk City -
plus £100 per month for a battery rental. Details after the jump.

Gallery: Th!nk City Electric Vehicle

Press Release:

FIRST FULLY ELECTRIC CAR TO GO ON SALE IN THE UK

UK motorists will soon be able to place orders to buy the first fully
electric powered car later this year, when the new TH!NK city electric
vehicle (EV) goes on sale in this country.

Revealed at the 2008 Geneva Motor Show this month by Norwegian electric
vehicle pioneers Think, a company with 17 years experience in EVs, the new
TH!NK city will be available for customer orders during the last quarter of
this year.

TH!NK city is a true, modern urban car, not a quadricycle. It is a fully
environmental vehicle, emission free and 95 percent recyclable. With an
energy efficiency three times that of a traditional combustion engine car,
it is a car that realistically meets the growing challenges of environmental
protection and congestion and emissions legislation.

The two seater urban car has a top speed of 65 miles per hour. It
accelerates from zero to 30 mph in just 6.5 seconds and 50 mph in 16
seconds. It requires just an overnight top-up of electricity and can travel
for 124 miles in city driving on a fully charged battery. A full charge from
a domestic electricity socket takes just ten hours. Over 10,000 miles use,
the total cost of electricity used to power a TH!NK city will be in the
region of £125.

TH!NK city is designed to meet the strict safety requirements of both Europe
and the US, as a highway-safe road car. The car is equipped with ABS brakes,
airbags and three-point safety belts with pretensioners and it meets all
European and US requirements with good margins.

"Unlike the lower-range, electric quadricycles that have had limited success
in the UK, TH!NK city is a real car which provides a realistic option for
those motorists who want to drive a true zero emissions car," said Richard
Blundell, Managing Director of Think UK.

"Also, concern for the environment has been at the heart of the development
of TH!NK city. It's not only environmentally sound to drive, but the car
itself is designed to be recycled," he added.

Engineers, developers, buyers and designers in the company have focused on
utilising clean recyclable materials, non-polluting production processes.
The dashboard can be completely recycled. The fabric, body, supports, air
ducts, adhesives and fixings are designed using the same recyclable
materials.

TH!NK city's body is made of recyclable ABS plastic, designed specifically
for city driving. Not only is it ideal for motorists want to avoid visible
scratches and irritating dents, the unpainted plastic bodywork also reduces
both energy consumption and toxins, while also making the panels easier to
recycle. The batteries are returned to the supplier at the end of their
useable life.

Standard equipment on each TH!NK city includes power steering, central
locking, a 4kW electric heater, and electric windows and mirrors. Optional
equipment will include air conditioning, a pre-heat timer, electrically
heated windscreen, full length sunroof, Radio CD with MP3, USB, Bluetooth, a
navigation & multimedia system, alloy wheels, roof rack and 2 + 2 children
seats (including 3-point seat belts)

Production started last autumn, and the first batch of cars will be
delivered to Norwegian customers this spring with orders for UK cars being
taken in the last quarter of this year. The expected retail price of TH!NK
city is £14,000.

Company history

Think has been developing and producing urban mobility solutions since the
early 1990s. Major investments made during the Ford ownership period
contributed to an important infrastructural upgrade. New investors are now
grooming Think as "The Car Company of the 21st Century."

The first prototype predecessor to today's modern TH!NK city was developed
in 1991. Drawing on 17 years of experience in electric vehicle development
and production, Think is not a typical car industry start-up. TH!NK city was
put in serial production in 1999, supported by American car giant Ford.

Ford became a major shareholder and invested USD 150 million in Think during
its four years as an owner. When Ford decided to leave the electric vehicle
sector in 2003, Think was sold out of the car manufacturing group. Though
struggling to survive, Think has always retained the basic infrastructure
and acquired considerable competence from its American owners.

During recent years, a wave of environmentalist conscience and climate
change awareness has ripened the market for alternative mobility solutions.
In 2006, Norwegian investors bought Think, and an experienced management
team entered the scene. Both new and former staff members were added to the
team, and a new strategy was outlined for the company. Further share issues
during 2007 have prepared Think to go into regular serial production of the
5th generation TH!NK city. The car company of the 21st century is on the
road.

"We are the car company of the 21st century. We develop zero emission
vehicles and sustainable solutions and we are proud to be launching TH!NK
city in new markets in 2008 and 2009, something that shows that the demand
for sustainable solutions and zero emission vehicles is greater than ever
before," says Jan-Olaf Willums, CEO of Think Global.

[Source: Th!nk, Smart Planet h/t to Adam V]

Tags: th!nk, th!nk-city, th!nk-uk, think-city, think-ev, think-uk, thinkcity

       * Comments [11]

Related Headlines

    * That Th!nk partnership announcement? Nothing to report (68 days ago -
3 Comments)
    * Th!nk will launch operations in America (47 days ago - 23 Comments)
    * EnerDel testing lithium-ion battery in a Th!nk City (67 days ago - 13
Comments)
    * Top Gear presenter, Richard Hammond plugs the Th!nk City (70 days
ago - 5 Comments)
    * TH!NK could be put on sale in Australia (66 days ago - 7 Comments)

Reader Comments
(Page 1)

1. That's good news on a neat car.
However, I wouldn't call that "officially official" until they actually
start selling them. In the EV/HEV world, cars keep getting delayed on a
regular basis.

Posted at 3:58PM on Mar 25th 2008 by Karkus

2. Excellent news. I think this car will go down well in London.

With regards the charge time, it shouldn't be too hard to run an extension
from a socket on a high amp circuit like the kitchen. A kitchen will have
maybe a 32 amp circuit compared with 15 amps standard. Could the on-board
charger take a higher amperage and therefore charge quicker?

Posted at 5:32PM on Mar 25th 2008 by Scatter

3. Any plans to bring it to North America? Especially Canada? Please?

Posted at 6:15PM on Mar 25th 2008 by Mark

4. Can't see Th!nk selling more than a hundred of these, all of it in
London. At its current price the vehicle is pointless. People can get brand
new Aygo/C1/107 for half price of this thing and still get 60+ mpg from it.
OK, I know about emission thing, but for general public it doesn't quite
matter. Even road tax on Aygo is only 70 USD/year, so it's not a big deal.
And you can seat 4 adults in Aygo/C1/107. It is also exempt (from this
autumn) from London Congestion charge.

I only wish that car makers could remember what made Prius a success -
practicality! One can buy it and still use it as an everyday car, even if
there is school run involved.

Waiting for Whitestar... Or next-gen Prius.

Posted at 6:59PM on Mar 25th 2008 by TheRookie

5. That is pretty awesome 124 mile range. That pretty good but it still is
not as captivating and cute as the smart . i wish the smart company would
come out with their own version boastings specs even higher than this. But i
don't think this is officials because they are not selling them yet. Ev cars
are always delayed and set back so until i can pick one up in the store then
it wont even cross my mind.

Posted at 8:14PM on Mar 25th 2008 by Kevin

6. Are the batteries on this thing thermo-isolated? They must be, if they're
gonna be selling it in Norway...

Posted at 7:24AM on Mar 26th 2008 by Petar Bogdanov

7. I like the Think but it's starting to sound a little too expensive, plus
a battery rental. Is this a early-adapter price? Shouldn't an electric be
less expensive then a hybrid?

Posted at 2:58PM on Mar 26th 2008 by mike

8. Depending on where I will be located I am seriously considering buying
one of these.
The range and the speed make it a slam dunk for me.
Right now I spend well over a hundred quid a month on fuel, so to stabilize
fuel costs would be sweet.

Posted at 7:10AM on Mar 27th 2008 by Dan Browne

9. I was told that the batteries used on the prototype smart electric cost $
12,000 - that is why think is renting them - plus that covers any warranty
issues. On the original think City you had to "equalize" the batteries every
2,500 miles. Evectric cars are VERY complicated devices that require a lot
of cooling for all of the on board high voltage components. The energy loss
climbing hills is amazing. You won't get much back on re-gen.

Posted at 4:20PM on Mar 27th 2008 by JP Hedin aka DrSmart

10. For more details on Think's UK plans and prices, check out
BusinessGreen.com - it has a detailed interview with Don Cochrane, Think's
UK manager, and an audio interview too.
http://www.businessgreen.com/business-green/analysis/2212579/interview-think-bring-electric

Posted at 1:07PM on Mar 29th 2008 by Auto IT

11. The Think car is quite clever, and usable in a small town, or for local
commuting. Hey Ford, why not buy distribution rights to the car you once
owned? And attention, state governments, attention: start requiring 10% of
all new vehicles sold to be electric, and soon, the change-over shall begin.
"We can move into the new, oil scarcity era with grace, or we can move
forward, screaming and kicking. But either way, the oil WILL run out."
(quote from my uncle, a petrochemical engineer and geologist).

Posted at 3:14PM on Mar 30th 2008 by jeffzekas