Robert,

Sorry if I am being otiose here, but I am genuinely confused.

Everything I read leads me to the belief that IF one can prove an absurdity
from a set of assumptions,then something about the set must be wrong.    So the
procedure is to assume the truth of a suspect proposition and show that
proposition, manipulated correctly by the rules of logic, leads to an absurd
conclusion... you know, 2 equals 3, for instance.

Now a category error is simply attibuting properties to an entity ... a thingy
of some sort ... that are inviolation of the basic definitions of that entity.
  In a sense, a category error .... is already a contrary to the logical system
that defines it.    So I am quite serious when I say that one can detect an
error by checking the assertions concerning theoretical entities in a system of
thought to see if any of them contradict fundamental assumptions of the system.
 I cannot imagine that we could disagree there.

You might (but you havent yet)challanged my implication that the category
errors identified by Ryle and his ilk fit this pattern.   To speak of minds as
causing material events might be a category error, on my account, if somewhere
"above" in the argument somebody had asserted that all material events are
caused by material causes.   But has anybody EVER done anything that dumb?  I
kinda doubt it, and therefore my argument, though correct, has no useful
referents.

At that point, we could agree that there is a method for detecting category
errors, but nobody has used it yet.

Or at least, I have been unable to come up with an example.

Doesnt that make more sense???

Nick

Nicholas S. Thompson
Emeritus Professor of Psychology and Ethology,
Clark University ([EMAIL PROTECTED]