From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf
Of Nicholas Thompson
Sent: Tuesday, July 15, 2008 9:58 AM
To: Robert Holmes; friam
Subject: Re: [FRIAM] Mentalism and Calculus

My reference is to that eminent logician, nthompson, who wrote.

that in logic,

Once you have said in your definitions,

"A point has neither extension nor direction"

you cannot start talking about a point's direction or movement with out
going back to your definitions and starting over.

consider the following syllogism

(1) All swans are white
(2) Well, except the odd black one.
(3) This bird is black.
(4) This bird is a swan.

"Absurd" in this case means what it means in a reductio argument.  Violates
the must fundament precepts of logic.

QED

Nick

Nicholas S. Thompson
Emeritus Professor of Psychology and Ethology,
Clark University ([EMAIL PROTECTED])