Nicholas Thompson wrote:

Nick,

Difficult books are like difficult men: challenging for a while, but
ultimately too much trouble and too little payoff for the effort. Give
me effortless elegance every time. Remind me, why are you doing Rosen?
And while I'm at it, I haven't had time to read all the chatter about
life itself and insight and creativity, but this is one of the most
disappointing dialogues yet on friam. The curve of research in
neuroscience has exploded, finally beginning a synthesis that includes
multiple nodes of knowing (including, Nick, contemplative psychology).
Not to mention that quantum ambiguity continues to confound logic. And
as humans, we can't STAND not resolving the amibiguity. Reason is the
way we operate, we must KNOW. But the "not-knowing" is absent here. (Too
Bhuddist for you?) Where in all this discussion is the contemplative
inquiry, the extended epistemology? You want to talk about mind and
life? Then visit the Mind and Life Institute site. This discussion might
have more meaning if you guys were reading Varela and Maturana and
Bateson and Boehm. We all agree there is no non-relational reality, but
that includes our relationship with "God." Even Stu Kauffman is
"Reinventing the Sacred" (while still going after the physicists. I
don't get it. You won, Stu, the 21st century is the Age of Biology!) And
it looks to me like Ann may be the prophet in your midst. Oh, well, I'll
keeping checking in at friam, because as Pablo Cassals the great cellist
said when asked at the age of 94 "why do you keep practicing every day?"
"Because", he said, "I think I detect signs of improvement."

Merle