Thanks Russell, for such a direct answer.

I am determined to understand this guy, so I am unlikely to quit altogether
, but  I am about to embark on a trip to even Deeper Woods than where I am
now, so will let it go for a bit.

Good luck in work.

Nick

Nicholas S. Thompson
Emeritus Professor of Psychology and Ethology,
Clark University ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

Coffee Group <friam@redfish.com>
> Date: 8/4/2008 4:08:30 PM
> Subject: Re: [FRIAM] Rosen, Life Itself
>
> On Sun, Aug 03, 2008 at 07:20:22PM -0600, Nicholas Thompson wrote:
> > Phil,
> >
> > Everybody needs to remember that this is my synopsis of Rosen, not
Rosen.

> > Also, I am starting my synopsis on Chapter Five.  I have read the
previous chapters with great care and understand things abut them, but the
synopsis of chapter five will never settle down until somebody has written
synopses to the earlier chapters.

> > Now substance.  I am not sure the word "realize" is causal in Rosen's
lingo.  He just means that some tangible object or process in our worlds
has the same formal structure.  Am I wrong about this???/

> No, it sounds correct to me.
>

> > Have I misjudged the group's interest in Rosen?  I have imagined by now
that others would be beavering away at synopses of other chapters and/or
been so seduced by my incompetence that they would have taken over the
synopsizing of chapter five.

> Perhaps. IIRC the main Rosen postings were from Glen Ropella and
> myself. I suspect Glen has a rather dilletante approach to Rosen (I
> know I shouldn't really speak for him though) and for myself it is
> very much a side issue of a side issue related to my studies of
> Emergence.
>
> Right now, I'm trying to devote what little research time I have into
> to doing real ALife research. Understanding Rosen doesn't figure on
> the critical path. It could be years, if ever, I get back to studying
Rosen.