> OK.  So perhaps you might be willing to change your question to:
> "Given
> an INcomplete math representation of a button, how would you derive a
> math representation of a button hole?"  If you did that, then we might
> be able to formulate an answer.  However, although that modified
> question is well-formed, it is too vague.  We'd need to see an example
> math representation of the button to know what's there and what's
> missing.
[ph] As I was saying, my interest in using math to explore the environment
rather than represent it.  So my use of the math would be to frame the
question and point to where the answer might be found more than provide the
answer.  I was just posing the classic question of a simple physical object
that is easy to describe but in a description that is stripped of our
cultural associations as math is, the description of the object itself would
not contain any reasonable hint of what it is for.  The question then might
be rephrased, what kinds of mathematical descriptions contain a hint of what
the thing described is for, linking it to it's context?

The main one I use is the continuity of a thing's changes, because how
something changes over time connects it with its context.  The curious thing
is that the math of history curves is thought to be mathematically more or
less meaningless but, potentially, accomplishes the bridge across the gap
that makes 'meaningful' math self-referential and disconnected from reality.
It's not 'buttons' we're so concerned with, but networks as complex systems,
that when described as a stand-alone diagram are abstracted from their
context, but as a history of developments are connected to their context.