Ever since I first came to Santa Fe, and joined the extensive  computation
culture here, I felt I have detected in the software people here something
equivalent to the physics- envy that we psychologists are prone to: let's
call it math-envy.  Math-Envy seems to be that while programming is subject
to the vicissitudes of any linguistic enterprise, mathematics displays true
formalism.... "you always know where you stand" in mathematics.

The more I have read ... most recently Rosen, Reuben Hersh, George Laykof,
Monk's biolography of Wittgenstein --- the more it seems that the best one
can say of mathematics is that "If you know where you are standing in
mathematics, you know where you stand" in mathematics.  Take Zero for
instance, and minus numbers, and roots of minus numbers, etc., etc.  All of
these things are metaphoric extensions and, as Laykof points out,  in fact
zero is different depending on which of several metaphors one has in mind
when one is using it.  Thus, the sense of safety one gets in mathematics
comes from the tendancy of mathematicians to hide out in deep silos, rather
than from a greater power or universality of their inter-silo discourse.
It is the same sense of safety that one gets in any monastery.  Or, I
imagine, that one gets from deep involvement in any programming language.

Now, the proposition having been stated so baldly -- and no doubt ineptly
-- by an outsider, I suspect that ALL mathematicians on the list will now
agree that the case has been OVER stated and that, whatever the differences
in degree of formalism within the various forms of mathematics, all
mathematics is clearer than other forms of argument, such as plain old
vanilla philosophy,  or, say,  experiment and proof in psychology.  Getting
you all to agree in this way will have been my highest achievement of the
day.

Nick

Nicholas S. Thompson
Emeritus Professor of Psychology and Ethology,
Clark University ([EMAIL PROTECTED])