Excellent points -- although they sidestep Nick's issue -- which I take to
be that some software people (although not you or I) wish that software were
as apparently definitive as mathematics.  Mathematics has an aura of
certainly -- even the certainty about uncertainty seems certain. Software is
just code that changes from moment to moment depending on the whim of the
developer or customer. Wouldn't it nice (Nick is saying that some software
people seem to think) if software were as certain as mathematics.

Of course software can't be as certain as mathematics since it's a
constructive discipline. We create new worlds, and the new worlds are in
some real sense arbitrary. Mathematics proves things about existing worlds.
Of course mathematics also creates new worlds to prove things about, e.g.,
Euclidean and non-Euclidean geometry, but in some ways that's similar to
software libraries.

Is it possible to V&V mathematics models of reality more
easily/effectively/definitively than software models of reality? I doubt it.
The only advantage mathematics has is that (perhaps) one has somewhat more
confidence in the internal structure of the model, i.e., how the model
behaves.  But if the model is complex enough, even that advantage
disappears.

-- Russ