So very many Berliner's seem to rate the city above Paris, London and NY.
I'm wondering how you might not be aware of the status so many people see in
living there!   Your second comment goes right to the point though, that the
Jekyll & Hyde feature of feedback loops is their special beauty and mystery
at the same time.

Awareness of that is also a key to watching them do it, how they switch from
multiplying good to multiplying harm in the relative "blink of an eye".
It's also one of their highly predictable features.   The way markets can
promote a growth in wealth to a point and then beyond it's point of
diminishing returns promote a growth of instability... is one that would be
exceptionally profitable for us to pay close attention to, for example.

The 'bitter pill' seems to be that nature changes her rules as the
circumstances are altered, and we seem to define our identities in terms of
which rules we believe in, and that itself is a big mistake.

Phil Henshaw