Peter,

If that's what you saw in their discussion then that's fantastic.     It's a
common either a right brain thinking sign of an approaching "ah ha" moment
to come to a real impasse, often a sign of an approaching new realization.
Either that or of dumping the whole mess and being given the gift of a clean
slate, or both!

The basic difference I was hoping to bring out is that in natural systems
exceedingly complex things are made simple when they are pulled as a chain
of connections, but and even fairly simple things become unmanageably
complex when you try to push them as a chain.    The difference is between
things getting pulled out of an environment by their user versus being
pushed together into a tangle by some observer.   Observer control of
individual complex systems simply does not work.     Sometimes we can apply
observer control to statistically regular things that seem to take care of
themselves the same way whatever we do to them.    That can work fine.  and
be quite useful.    It's no way to steer individualistic complex systems,
though.

Jane Jacobs is not the only person to point out the importance of
environmental complexity as a foundation for environmental systems to
thrive.   It's the rich diversity of different kinds of technology, ways of
thinking and overlapping interests that is key to the vitality of the
vibrant cities, industries and conversations.   It has to do with both
stimulating the creativity of individual innovators and the adaptability of
their communities in a changing world.    Because it's the diversity that
allows creativity and flexibility, decreases in diversity threaten
ecosystems with collapse, as 'one legged stools' fall over.    An urban
example is how the automotive mono-culture around Detroit caused it to be a
one-idea town that could not imagine anything else to do, and deteriorated
after the automotive boom.

The whole subject of complex natural systems is about how the parts learn
new tricks, and adapt as their own behavior or other things change their
environments.    Anywhere I look for it I find the creative parts do their
part in that by local exploratory learning processes, small scale
evolutionary elaboration and selection.   That's the inventor in the garage
thing, or the idle conversations at lunch thing.    It appears to only work
if the learning parts have some rich leftovers of other forms to explore,
and are not pushed in a way that disrupts their learning.    It seems to be
most basic to caring for systems you really must rely on to take care of
themselves.

Phil Henshaw