From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, November 17, 2008 3:18 PM
To: friam@redfish.com
Subject: Re: [FRIAM] The Black Swan

Greetings, all --

It was nice to be in Santa Fe again, albeit briefly. Eric Falkenstein is not a
lover of Taleb, and so I'll pass this along with that proviso and note that
it's helpful to think through some of both Taleb's statements and Falkenstein's
reactions:

http://falkenblog.blogspot.com/2008/11/fooled-by-randomness.html

Here is an earlier posting by Falkenstein that may give you some of the flavor
of his feelings for Taleb:

Martin Gardner wrote a popular column for Scientific American, and in the
process received a lot of mail from ‘cranks’ telling him about perpetual motion
machines and the like. So he wrote a book called Fads
<http://www.amazon.com/Fads-Fallacies-Name-Science-Popular/dp/0486203948>  and
Fallacies. In the book he describes "cranks" who he describes as having five
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fads_and_Fallacies_in_the_Name_of_Science>
invariable characteristics:

1.      A profound intellectual superiority complex.
2.      Regards other researchers as idiotic, and always operates outside the
peer review system.
3.      Believes there is a campaign against their ideas, a campaign compared
with the persecution of Galileo or Pasteur.
4.      Attacks only the biggest theories and scientific figures.
5.      Coins neologisms.

On Taleb’s personal website he describes himself thusly: He is also an
essayist, belletrist, literary-philosophical-mathematical flâneur. The
third-person is perfect pitch for describing himself, and the rest , well,
literary-philosophical-mathematical types—especially flâneurs—tend to be full
of themselves, supporting Gardner’s characteristic #1. He prides himself on not
submitting articles to refereed journals, and considers most people who are
indifferent to him as fools, disdains editors, even spellcheckers (#2). He
pridefully notes that someone told him “in another time he would have been
hanged [me: for what, inanity?].” Wilmott <http://www.wilmott.com/>  Magazine,
a quant publication published by his colleague Paul Wilmott, wrote a fawning
article <http://www.fooledbyrandomness.com/0603_coverstory.pdf>  about him
where they noted that he is “Wall Street’s principal dissident. Heretic! Calvin
to finance’s Catholic Church” (#3). His website states his modest desire to
understand chance from the viewpoint of “philosophy/epistemology,
philosophy/ethics, mathematics, social science/finance, and cognitive science”,
supporting #4. Lastly, for #5, has gone so far as to print a glossary
<http://www.fooledbyrandomness.com/glossary.pdf> for his neologisms (eg,
“epistemic arrogance” for “overconfidence”). In Martin Gardner’s taxonomy,
Taleb is a classic crank.

(end of excerpt - via Mahalanobis 20 April 2007)

- Claiborne -