Thus spake Steve Smith circa 01/04/2009 03:27 PM:
> Taxonomies are most useful (IMO) to those who are (as you point out with Doug
> as
> teacher of ABM 101) entering a field "naive", or who are trying to understand
> something "forest-ey" rather than "tree-ey".

I suppose I disagree slightly with both this statement and Doug's
general position that a classification system is only relatively useful.

Classification systems are critical for delegation.  The software
engineering methods Doug introduced into the conversation are a classic
example.  We classify things and behaviors not only to understand and
teach, but to put the free cycles of those around us to work on our
problems.  Without such classification methods, e.g. OOP, we can't build
large complicated structures.

But for the academics on the list, any such classification that obtains
after being used for awhile is NOT "true".  Useful, yes.  True, no.  And
the usefulness of it is context dependent.

That's why we end up settling on more abstract methods that allow us to
create a classification "on the fly".  Systems engineering is a set of
methods for doing just that.  It's a set of methods for classifying a
domain (and problem in that domain) whenever we want to.  (It also
includes changing the classification when we learn that our original
class structure - of objects and behaviors - is broken.)

Once we have the temporary, context dependent classification, we can
delegate work to the drones we have at our disposal.  (BTW, "drone" is a
role, not type.  Brilliant people can act as drones just by acting
outside their field of expertise.)

--
glen e. p. ropella, 971-222-9095, http://agent-based-modeling.com