Owen,
You say:

Clip...

> I'm sure you don't mean to put yourself in the same class as Emmy
> Noether, right?  She's of the same historic stature as most of the
> early 1900's best scientists, and her symmetry discoveries surely
> should have won her a Nobel.
[ph] Well, equally, I'm sure you don't mean that pretense is important in
scientific questions either, right?   I had not known of Noether's theorem
before Saul mentioned the similarity between my prior comment to Steve and
her extension of the conservation laws.   It does seem similar to the one I
did that I was referring to, and my general theorem would seem, initially,
to have Noether's theorem as a limited case.

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emmy_Noether
>
> Its hard to imagine a "next level" for her work in this context!
> Start here:
>    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noether%27s_theorem
> and let us know where to extrapolate to get to your theorem.

Clip...

> Can you formalize this in the same way Emmy did?  That certainly would
> put your work on the map big time!
[ph] I did, extending the linkage of the conservation laws for undefined and
open systems 14 years ago and refreshed it last fall, told you and others
about it, and submitted it to Complexity again.  Not a sole responded with
any comment or question.  Over the years I've mentioned it to hundreds of
physicists and mathematicians and believe I have never gotten any comment
except one friend of a friend reportedly saying "it doesn't go anywhere"
about 12 years ago.   It presents continuity as an envelope of developmental
possibilities, and serves as a guide to locating and investigating them.

> Sorry if I appear reactionary, but my Quantum Electrodynamics teacher
> spent many a patient hour letting us get a peak of just how ground-
> breaking her work was and how it was used by generations of physicists
> as a means of tackling problems that were otherwise intractable.
[ph] no not reactionary at all, just uninquisitive.

> I'm not sure of the details of Murray Gell-Mann's work leading to the
> Nobel, but I suspect Emmy was needed to pave the way.
[ph] I have not yet spent the time needed to understand the range of
Noether's work, but I'd surely concur there are indeed lots and lots of
people whose major insights wait and wait for some linkage with other things
to be of either general use or get the recognition they deserve.  I think
that's even an important feature of how complex systems work, how their
development seems to rely on strings of wonderful found objects that seem to
connect unusually well.  I think that's a lot of what the mystery is.

Best,

Phil Henshaw
NY NY  www.synapse9.com