More to the point, here's how I like to look at it.

Quantum theory has non-determinism embedded within it. Conway (I believe) is
really talking about non-determinism rather than the more provocative "free
will." So how does that apply to us?

Suppose that we have buried deep within our brains a non-deterministic
idea/impulse generator. If unchecked the generated impulse would
lead--through mechanical effects--to some action in the world. But we also
have built into us inhibitors that monitor these impulses and prevent some
of them from reaching the stage of real action. These inhibitors are also
deterministic: once installed they do their inhibition work mechanically.
Where do they come from? Many of them are built in as a result of evolution.
But others are learned. How does that happen? We are capable of
"programming" our brains. That's not so different (although I don't mean to
imply that we are "just" computational devices) from programming any
computer. So just as computers are able to be programmed to act in certain
ways -- and yet still be deterministic devices-- we too are able to program
ourselves to act in certain ways -- mainly by installing useful inhibitory
(or anti-inhibitory) mechanisms.

The bottom line is that the original impulses/ideas are random, not the
result of free will. Whether or not they reach the state of realization is
deterministic as a result of the "programs" we have installed in ourselves.
The "programs" we install in ourselves is as result of the combination of
our built-in tendency to install programs and the programs we happen to have
installed in ourselves along the way.

This seems to me to provide a reasonable way of thinking about how we behave
and about how we seem to have free will yet to do so within the context of a
materialistic universe.

Also, it feels sort of right. We don't really have an idea on purpose. We
don't have the "free will" to invent or create. That comes from a lower
level mechanism. All we do is monitor what is generated and keep the good
stuff.  Our monitoring and selection skills are both built-in and learned.
But they don't require what we normally think of as free will. (This is
Dennett's message in *Darwin's Dangerous Idea*, that all creativity is the
result of evolutionary processes: diversity generation and selection.)

-- Russ