I think everybody who thinks about higher education ought to have a look at
this article, not because it is necessarily correct but because it suggests
great opportunities for institutions -- such as the "City University of Santa
Fe" or Clark University -- which by reason of their small size could
re-organize quickly to respond to these realities.

I have to admit that I am ambivalent about tenure.  If, over the last 40 years,
tenure  had seemed to foster intellectual courage and a willingness to speak
one's mind and invest long term in the institute, then I would continue to
favor it unequivocally.  But since the onset of Academic Reaganism, tenure
seems only to meant that most faculty members have allowed themselves to be
manipulated by ever more trivial incentives -- the merit raise or the honorific
reception with bad wine, stale cheese and crackers.  Time to read Fromm's
ESCAPE FROM FREEDOM again, i fear.

And I have to deplore the implication that the only way you get people to pull
their weight is by threatening them with financial sanction.  On the contrary,
the entire faculty of Clark University was subjected to bad pay for all the
years I worked there, and it never changed anybody's behavior.  No.  I think
the failure has been in our unwillingness to speak directly and from the heart
and in person to colleagues about what we need from them.  True collaboration
requires honest critique in the absence of power;  what we have had, over the
last four decades, is the application of power in the absence of honest
critique.

Nicholas S. Thompson
Emeritus Professor of Psychology and Ethology,
Clark University (nthomp...@clarku.edu)

OPINION   | April 27, 2009
Op-Ed Contributor:  End the University as We Know It
By MARK C. TAYLOR
If higher education is to thrive, colleges and universities, like Wall Street
and Detroit, must be rigorously regulated and completely restructured.

1. Op-Ed Contributor: End the University as We Know It
2. More Atheists Shout It From the Rooftops
3. Corner Office: He Wants Subjects, Verbs and Objects
4. Shortage of Doctors Proves Obstacle to Obama Goals
5. U.S. Declares Public Health Emergency Over Swine Flu

ยป  Go to Complete List

500 Days of Summer Premiered at Sundance, starring Joseph Gordon-Levitt and
Zooey Deschanel. Coming This Summer
Watch the new trailer!
Click here to view trailer

Copyright 2009  The New York Times Company | Privacy Policy