I have to admit, I've just reached the limit of my competence. I don't
know what it means for an explanation to be reductive. I'll have to go
read something about that--my lack of formal education is exposed.

A triangle (made of parts) is the name for a particular arrangement of
parts. If you arrange the parts differently, it isn't a triangle
anymore.

That arrangement of parts has the property of being self-supporting.
So, yes, in my experience, triangularity causes rigidity that, say,
square-ity does not.

Also, note that the whole discussion of triangles being sturdy only
applies to hollow triangles, e.g. struts and joints. If the
non-triangle is solid, then discussions about stiffness or rigidity as
compared to solid triangles becomes
irrelevant--physically/mechanically speaking, the play of forces is
different. Distortion of the angles is less a problem, buckling
becomes an issue.

~~James